Wednesday, October 22, 2008

EKG?


This picture was taken in the lobby at our 2 year follow up with Louie's cardiologist.  It's excruciatingly difficult to get two "walker" walkers together in a photo frame.  I was there alone.  With Louie but adult alone.  Chris was traveling for work.  We didn't reschedule the appointment because apparently you don't just whip in to see the cardiologist and appointments are made well in advance.  Unless it's really serious.  


Screaming kicks off with the weight and height check.  Don't even think about taking his blood pressure.  Then, the nurse starts casually putting little stickers all over his chest and says, "okay, we'll get a quick EKG.  I'm thinking, What? A quick EKG? I knew nothing of this EKG business.  First of all, what's an EKG and second of all what's an EKG?  As an aside and what I'll shamefully admit to you is that I still don't know what it stands for or, gulp...measures.  But it came back good, so yay!  Oh, what must you be thinking?  But I do know that it's not nearly as scary as it sounds and it doesn't take long.  Just a bunch of stickers and cords.  

I simply can't explain the way my brain wanders out the door when I go to these types of appointments.  You know, the big appointments. It's like my mind says, "Okay, you're on your own.  Got everything?  Good, good...see you in the parking lot afterwards."  

As to why I still haven't looked EKG up?  It's on my list.  And in my to file piles.  And under my couch.  And in the dishwasher.  Wrapped up with a diaper.  I've successfully made myself feel extremely guilty.  I'm about to sign off and Google EKG.  

The good news is that Louie's heart still looks great.  Just thumping away like it's supposed to. The bad but good news is that he will continue to be monitored.  For some reason I was under the impression that after age two, the risk for developing a heart problem decreases significantly.  Again, I should have asked, but that mind; she was long gone, in the parking lot reading a list of cardiology questions and eating doughnuts.  

So, it's good that he will be monitored.  Otherwise, I might worry in the future that it could develop later in life?  Kids with WS will always be at a higher risk for developing a heart issue. If that made sense to you, please contact me because we're soul blogger friends.  

Well, I'm off to the World Wide Web for some old fashioned Googling.  And Chris is talking to his mom about a family member named Willie Jo.  Willie Jo.  I'd better go see what's going on with Willie Jo.  

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad to hear that Louie's cardiac appointment went well! I have to admit that I was under the same impression and thought as Ava gets older her heart would get better and her risk would become lower but our doctor just set me straight on that. Hope all is well with Willie Jo.
Anna

Laura said...

Great news from the Cardiologist!!

LOVE the pictures of the boys in sunglasses, they are just sooooo cute!

Anonymous said...

Mrs Louie and Ace,

From my clinical experience an electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) is a test that checks for problems with the electrical activity of your heart. An EKG translates the heart's electrical activity into line tracings on paper (called peak and troughs). The spikes and dips in the line tracings are called waves. A natural electrical system causes the heart muscle to contract and pump blood through the heart to the lungs and the rest of the body.

Why do we do EKG's?
• Check the heart's electrical activity.
• Find the cause of unexplained chest pain, which could be caused by a heart attack, inflammation of the sac surrounding the heart or angina.
• Find the cause of symptoms of heart disease, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, fainting, or rapid, irregular heartbeats (palpitations).
• Find out if the walls of the heart chambers are too thick (hypertrophied).
• Check how well medicines are working and whether they are causing side effects that affect the heart.
• Check how well mechanical devices that are implanted in the heart, such as pacemakers, are working to control a normal heartbeat.
• Check the health of the heart when other diseases or conditions are present, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, cigarette smoking, diabetes, or a family history of early heart disease.

This is what I know about EKG's, but if you would like other clinical advice please let me know, and I am glad the EKG went well!

Your local Doctor,

David Morphy, MD

Anonymous said...

I feel the same way you do... It is like I am this smart, well-informed person and then I walk into doctor's offices and my mind leaves me and all I can do is sit there and shake my head like I understand... I leave and I am bombarded with "what about this" what about that?" .... It drives me crazy. Why is a doctor's office like that?
So happy about the good cardiologist news! Yay!

Amy said...

Just tell me what I need to do, I guess that is all I think about. Yes I am looking for the stellar report...but I also know an "All Clear" doesn't mean forever. With our kids they are never all clear. Their bodies are not perfect and at some point something ugly will rear its head. Or a dr. misses something. I do not think the literature is clear on this. Our kids are in jeapordy from the day they were conceived. There bodies are compromised, they are missing important genetic material. Sorry for the depressing thoughts.
Amy

Anonymous said...

I love your blog - it makes me smile and it is so real! Love you! Jenny (can't figure out what my username is???)