Saturday, May 10, 2008

Sophisticated Palate



Ace is a good eater.  It's refreshing.  He has not yet met a food he doesn't like.  However, having said that, "What does he have in his mouth?" is the big question  around here lately. As Ace has become mobile, he has made it his mission to point out how poorly I vacuum by finding all kinds of crazy things on the floor to put in his mouth.  See photo above where is scavenging like a puppy under Louie's high chair.  


Let's see.  Things I've fished out of Ace's mouth over the past month.  A piece of black rubber.  Um mm...yeah, I have no idea.  He somehow found it on our black and brown rug.  He has some kind of baby superpower vision that no one bothered to tell me about.  3 raisins in mouth and one in each hand; again, found on a black and brown, raisin-colored rug. The tip of a balloon.  I know, I know, yet another choking hazard.  An absurd number of leaves and those little pod things that fall from trees.  Paper.  Lots and lots of paper.  Lint balls and dust bunnies galore.  Chips of wood.  Seriously, come on!  Wood chips?  I am not making this up.  And no, we don't have a wood burning stove or a fireplace.  One was about an inch and a half long and knife-like.  While I may not be the best at vacuuming, I'm not that bad.  Where does this stuff come from?  I want to know!  And the icing on the whole big pile of random things to be found on the floor...a dead bug.  "What's he got in his mouth?" I ask as I place him flat on the floor and finger sweep his mouth.  Out comes a wing.  Finger sweep, avoid teeth. A crispy brown body.  Finger sweep, ouch, he bit me! Then another wing and legs.  Another leg.  "Ace, don't eat bugs!"  

His personality is getting bigger.  It's fun watching it grow.  And stay the same.  Babies seem to be born with an essence,  inherently and completely theirs. Their soul?  Their spirit?  I don't know exactly what it is but you can see it in every newborn's face.  

Ace is changing every day.  Each stage is new and different and exciting.  However, I know there is something about him that will remain the same. Yes, he will change and grow, change and grow.  Eating bugs and table scraps today, sushi and Starbucks tomorrow. But no matter how old he is, as his mother, I will always be able to see what has not changed; what has been there since the day he was born.  

To all the mothers - Happy Mother's Day!  Sending my love to you all.  You are amazing.




7 comments:

Courtney said...

Reading this reminded me of our ventures in Clinton's Discovery-by-Taste phase. You listed many of the same things I dug out of Clinton's mouth...Wood chips--check. Dead bug--check. Lots and lots of paper--check. In fact, his paper fascination turned into cardboard--I couldn't get through the grocery store without him eating a hole in at least one of my boxes. I also had to call poison control 3 times during that phase. FYI--Clinique eye make-up remover and Avon hand cream are not lethal.

Now, despite all the craziness of this phase, there is good news--in most children it passes. Of course, it only passes because a new phase has become overwhelmingly present with its own challenges!

Looking forward to more stories of your adventures!

Tara said...

Happy Mother's Day!!! (and I love this post - my youngest doesn't put everyhting in his mouth, but Payton sure did - and I was always amazed what she found on my floor!!!).

Julie said...

Happy Mothers Day!! Noah still puts everything in his mouth.

Noel said...

Happy Mother's day to you too. I hope that you had a great day!
Noel

Amy said...

Happy Mother's Day! belated. Avery has serious oral motor sensory issues, but somehow manages to stick every discoverable item in her mouth from cat turd to rock. But god forbid she eat a piece of candy, she hates cereal or anything sweet. What wonderful boys you have! They are just gorgeous.
xoxo
Amy

Courtney said...

We called poison control again this morning. Hair mousse is also not lethal!! :-)

Laura said...

When Michaela was younger, if it was in reach, it was in the mouth!
Both of your boys are absolutely adorable!!!
A belated Happy Mother's Day!!!