Thursday, May 22, 2008

I Wish.


Louie has a diagnosis for autism as well as Williams syndrome.  We don't know for sure that he has autism because there has been some disagreement among doctors.  But the diagnosis has allowed us more services through our early intervention program.  It's interesting because sometimes it feels more like Louie has autism than Williams syndrome.  I thought the dual diagnosis would help us receive more services in the public school system as well.  But that is yet to be seen.

Louie's first IEP meeting was held yesterday.  And so it begins.  I had hoped for more.  For more understanding and less resistance.  Louie deserves extended school year services.  He meets all the criteria.  They denied my request, ignored my proof of regression and wouldn't provide their denial to me in writing.  So now here I am.  Wondering and wishing and not knowing.

I wish I didn't have to do this whole IEP, special education, therapy, make-sure-everything-is-documented-or-it-wasn't-said thing.  I wish it were simpler and our children were given exactly what the law says they should get.  Sounds simple but its complexities already make my head fuzzy.  I don't know what to fight for and what to let slide.  I don't want to start my relationship with the school off on a sour note but I want Louie to have every opportunity available to him. Louie simply doesn't have the opportunities most of us are given just by being born. Opportunities to start, to fail, to begin again, to make choices, to drive our cars fast on a summer night with all the windows down.  

I sat on my patio last night and realized again what it means to be an advocate.  It's not a matter of being right or who's pocket the money comes out of or revenge for the school's lack of, ummm...charisma. It's a matter of human rights.  It's a matter of society's responsibility to care for those who cannot care for themselves.   It's a matter of taking the strengths that Louie has and making them mean something.  It's up to us to shape those strengths and mold them into assets that will give Louie opportunity.  Isn't that what's it's about?  Opportunity?  Hope?  A future?

I want Louie to do the things that other 3 years olds are doing.  But he isn't and he won't.  I still sometimes find myself thinking "Well, when he learns to fill-in-the-blank, then he will be close to catching up."  And then gravity takes hold and the weight of the truth bears down on my disillusion.  He won't catch up.  He will never catch up.  So our goals and dreams for Louie need to be adjusted. 

What I want is for him to learn life skills.  The skills that come naturally to most of us; the ability to feed ourselves, brush our teeth, get dressed, shave, balance a checkbook.  I want Louie to be able to do these things.  Maybe this is obvious and something most other moms of kids with special needs have already realized but it just crystallized for me.  My goal for Louie is that he is able to have some sort of independence as an adult.  

Louie may not ever talk.  This has only been a passing thought in the past, quickly dismissed and ordered out, but this time it has taken a seat.  It's a real possibility.  I am not trying to be dramatic or negative.  Nor am I overreacting.  I just know too much now.  Louie's vocalizations have not really changed since he began vocalizing at 6 months or so.  He rarely babbles any consonents and his expressive communication, including gestures and signing, is little to none. There is a window of time for a child to learn to talk.  After it closes, it's rare speech will develop.  Especially conversational speech.  That window is not yet closed for Louie.  And in my mind, the window will never close completely.  But Louie may never talk and I must begin to prepare myself for that possibility.  

Ace, nine months, has almost surpassed Louie in every developmental area.  I guess that's why I have a hard time with the public school saying no to our requests.  No to a 3 year old who doesn't walk independently, talk or possess any self-help skills.  What more do they want?  I can't imagine.  I'm not asking for the world from them.  But I am asking for the world for Louie. Does that make sense?

I wish, I wish, I wish right now.  I wish I knew someone who has been exactly where I am. Someone who sat on their patio and wondered why the line between compromise and complacency is such a faint one.  I wish I had my degree in special education and law.  I wish Louie would say "mama."  I wish I knew how to prepare to raise a child who doesn't speak. 

Most of all, I wish Louie could run in the school office and say "Hey, principal!  I don't need your so-called stinkin' special education!" and then he would bound quickly out the door, out to the playground where he would kick the ball causing a cloud of dust to hazily rise up into the afternoon light, the rest of the kids, his friends, would laugh and run toward the rolling ball.  I wish that's what Louie could do.  

6 comments:

Amy said...

Have you met Penny? I think she could be of a lot of help...her son has dual DX and HAS walked a mile in your shoes. Here is her blog, you should speak with her! http://www.pennyperez.blogspot.com/
She has done battle as well with the schools, she is awesome. Keep up the good fight, he only has one life and you are his hero(:
xoxo
Amy

camille said...

Jenny,
Wow. You have a gift with words. I didn't realize Louie had the dual DX. I've wondered about that with Connor too. Can I ask you, what exactly about his behavior gave the autism diagnosis? I'm so scared to even go there, I don't feel mentally prepared whatsoever for that reality. We are starting the IEP process this summer and I too am really worried about it. I don't know what's reasonable and what's not. I wish there was a book that would just say it plain and simple and say what to fight for. Do you have access to any advocates through your early intervention services? Sometimes a volunteer advocate will go with you to an IEP meeting as a support and can help you navigate these complicated waters...and maybe help you get extended school year services. I'm so sorry we all have to go through this. I wish it was easier and not so painful all the time. I wish things were fair.

Noel said...

The IEP process for me, has gone similar to your experience. I just don't understand why it should be so hard to WANT to teach a child the basic stuff they need to know to survive in this world. (and I am not talking about world history and the like, I am talking, self-help, socialization,how to interact with peers appropriatly). I have gotten nothing but resistance from our school district. Frustrating. I was able to find a private school that is willing to help but it only last for another year, then age wise I have to go to the school or find a way on my own.
I am sorry that you are having such a tough time with your district.
Noel

Laura said...

It just makes me so sad when a school is not even willing to try. It shouldn't be that way.
We have been incredibly fortunate to see first hand what an amazing school and staff can do for a child.

mhelvin said...

To hell with them people, they don't have the right to discriminate such kind, that's a child who needs a life, instead of helping and reaching out they just exiled that poor kiddo. I am greatly angered by this manner. Karma is a very dangerous thing I wish could not happen to them. Sorry for the strong words .. But I am deeply hurt. Honestly, I like kids so I don't want them to be treated like that. Although I'm not that knowledgeable about Dual Diagnosis (which I read from an article in the web), I can imagine how painful it would be to be excommunicated for such lame reasons.

Dani said...

Jenny,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. I have been there and all I can say is do not$ give up. I have been battling doctor's and schools for the past 12 years and it took 10 of those years for the doctor's to diagnose my son; sort of. They told us that our son was a high functioning Autistic but because he lacked EVERY symptom or typical behavior, they did not give us the diagnosis so that we could seek help. I have a book called the out of sync child. It is a very informative book and if you are unable to purchase it, I would be happy to send it to you. Let me know and I will give you my e-mail address so that we can talk further. In short, my son was diagnosed with CMT, Sensory integration dysfunction as well as a nonverbal learning disability. Sensory integration dysfunction mimics many signs of Autism. It is basically where the sensory part of the brain is unable to process things correctly. My son for example has both an over stimulation of some senses and an under stimulation of others. I will use one example of how this affects my son. He will not sleep in his bed because he can feel every lump in the mattress, the sheets are too rough and the sound that the bed makes when he moves is too loud. Sensory integration dysfunction also affects his learning. My son has a nonverbal learning disability meaning that, in his head he understands, but is unable to get it out so it stays locked up inside him and he gets frustrated and gives up. I have since pulled my son out of school, quit my job, and began home schooling him. He has improved tremendously and now is more verbal, has made some friends, albeit they are much younger than him, but he is doing well. I don’t know if this has helped any but you might want to check out www.nldontheweb.com and let me know if you would like the book, I will send it to you.
Best of luck

Dani