Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Childproofing.




I hate, and I hate to use the word hate, those electrical plug outlet covers. I hate them. We have the cheap kind that take some type of kitchen utensil or a power tool to pry off. I always try, and never succeed, to use the plug for whatever electrical device I am trying to use, key word try, to pry off the cover. In the process I usually bend up my plug pretty good and have yet to get a cover off using this method.  But every time, I think "I'll just try it real quick, maybe it will work" as I stick (and bend) one of the plug prongs between the cover and outlet.  For some reason these safety covers are starting to sound more like hazards to impatient parents such as myself.  

So,then I proceed to curse it and stomp off to find the appropriate device necessary so I can get to my electricity to finally do the vacuuming that has been procrastinated to the point of the kids snacking off the floor, "Yum, a dried pea, oh looky here, 3 raisins and a half an animal cracker."

I've seen those pricier outlet covers and now that I've built up so much rage against these plastic pieces of frustration, I feel the investment would be worth it. However, this brings up another point. And please, if you or anyone you know have children who have been injured in an electrical plug incident, I mean no disrespect. It's just that I personally don't know anyone nor have ever heard a story about one of these types of injuries. Not a friend of a friend or a cousin of your best friend's sister-in-law's sister. But let's keep in mind I've only been a mom for three and a half years and paying attention to plugs and plug related injuries. Well, obviously not paying enough attention. Are we worried about them getting shocked? And how bad is the shock should it happen? Is it life threatening? Should I have consulted Google before asking these questions openly - out loud and in writing? It may not surprise you that my husband is the one who took all the plug protection measures around here.

Enough about electrical outlet covers already!  

Ace has started singing. His favorite song is Baa Baa Black Sheep because he can sing the Ba Ba part. But then yesterday, I hear "uh oh oh, uh oh oh". Perfect melody. There was no denying he was singing Beyonce's Single Ladies. If you liked it then you should have put a ring on it. Oh well. Beyonce is not typically my kind of music but since she's been everywhere promoting her new album, I've decided she's okay. Uh oh oh, uh oh oh.

Louie is doing fantastic. Really coming out of his shell. He is with us. Really with us and it's a joy. He is a joy. He's a 24-pound skinny thing but gives hugs with the strength of a boxer; a hug that carries all the words he can't say, all the love in the only way he is capable of giving it. Isn't it interesting that many of us neurotypical people, with excellent verbal skills, fumble around for the right words but still can't come close to carrying the weight of Louie's hug? For me, his hug says it all. And quite simply, I've never felt so loved as when he wraps his string bean arms tight around my neck and buries his drooley, wet face in my hair.

What a roller coaster post. I started off hating the world and all the electrical plug safety covers existing within it to the power of hugs. Blah and peace, signing off...

- J

1 comment:

Katie said...

LOL!! I do exactly the same thing with the plug - i now have to inform my husband he will have to put a new plug on the vacuum cleaner cord... i just might leave out the reason being my impatiant self chucking a fit this morning at the power outlet and bending the plug prong at a 90 degree angle trying to remove the stupid plastic thingy!....