Wednesday, April 30, 2008

This I Believe


I recently submitted this essay to NPR's This I Believe.  It's a really cool project and I enjoy reading all the essays.  They archive every one they receive on their website.  Mine should be posted in a couple of months.  If you have read my blog you will see I've repeated many of the same things, this time just all put together in a way that tells what I believe.  It's a good question to ask ourselves.  Which is probably why Edward R. Murrow started this project in the first place. Sometimes it seems we don't even know what we believe until we're forced to examine it in the light.  So here's my belief all opened up and under the light:


I am haunted by a photograph.  It's a picture of me in the nursery standing proudly beside the crib we had just put together that day.  Fourteen months after our son was born, he was diagnosed with Williams syndrome.  The girl standing in that nursery is now gone.  I wish I could go back to that moment and gather her in my arms, that ghost of myself, and warn her that her heart would soon be broken into a billion pieces.  I would let her know that she needed to hold on while her life whirled around her and reassure her that when it settled, she would find the person taking her place would be much more sensitive, compassionate, and in a way, more alive.  

Louie will be three in June.  He doesn't yet walk or talk.  The parents of children with special needs live in a constant paradox between realism and hope.  I have let go of many of the expectations parents typically have for their children.  As I drive by soccer fields on a Saturday morning, families scattered about with folding chairs and coolers, I realize yet again, that probably won't be us.  I have accepted that we won't go car shopping on Louie's sixteenth birthday.  Maybe it's a defense mechanism triggered when one cares for a child with special needs.  It seems negative to those on the outside, but to me, it's my suit of armor.  And I need it for the battles I fight as I advocate for my son and of course, the battles I fight within.  

This tiny child, with starry blue eyes and a lopsided smile, looks to me to meet his every need.  Many times, it's a guess.  And other times, it's what I believe he needs, what he undeniably deserves.  My voice does not waver when I let people know that when they use the word 'retard' as another word for 'stupid', what they are really doing is insulting an entire group of people - those with the medical diagnosis of mental retardation who simply cannot organize themselves and fight this offensive use of the word.  

Now I sit confidently at the head of a conference table during school meetings.  I ask the hard questions.  I require accountability and endure the awkward silences of confrontation.  I document things.  I follow up.  I learn special education law and memorize Louie's rights.  I am an advocate for someone who deserves an education, to have a chance at independence and above all, to live a valued life.  

I've come to realize that there will always be those moments when I revisit the hurt.  Graciously, the pain subsides and I am reminded of who I am.  I am Louie's mother.  His voice.  His advocate.  This I believe.  More than anything, this I believe.  

15 comments:

Tara said...

Beautiful. I'm going to be watching the website - and reading the other entries.
By the way, I think the sticker on Louie's shirt says "I pitched a fit". I love it!!!!!

isaac, iris, and june said...

I always knew you were NPR-worthy. And the photograph is beautifully somber. We don't always think to capture these times. I often feel it would be nice to fast-forward over some of it. But these little pauses of reflection will prove invaluable (for you and the rest of your adoring fans).
love,
raine

Amy said...

Just lovely, I have thought of writing for "I Believe," but now I don't have to... you pretty much summed it up. Email me if you want to talk, Avery didn't walk until she was 31 months and at three isn't talking. ddaisyy@yahoo.com . And let's just say I would consider Dr. Mervis to be just one opinion. His future is yet to be written. ddaisyy@yahoo.com

camille said...

WOOOOW! Loved this post. Fantastic writing skills. This is a very relate-able article and gives mothers like us such validation. Thanks for posting it :)

Kerry said...

Well said. And fabulous picture! He is a cutie patootie!

Tes said...

Wonderfully said, thank you.
Tes Lila's mommy

Nancy said...

Wonderful essay. It's hard to look at the past before WS sometimes, I know, and before the innocence fell away.

Hugs.

Laura said...

Beautifully said, thank you so much for sharing your gift of writing.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for sharing! So well written.

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nicole said...

You are a beautiful writer. I very much enjoy your blog. Your writing is sometimes sad, sometimes funny, always sweet. I've loved all of your entries.

Your children are gorgeous, by the way.

Ava's Grandma Kim said...

Beautiful, as always. Your essay speaks for me, my beautiful Ava, and all the brave moms and dads who have been dealt the WS hand. God bless you.

Noel said...

I am sorry I have been so out of the loop that I missed this post. It is very well written and brought tears to my eyes, but not sad tears really, just tears of a mom who understands where you are coming from.

Noel

Ms. Tee said...

Beautifully said. I reached your blog thru the WS list - I have an adult sister with WS. Thanks for such a wonderful post!

Connie said...

Hi, Jen. It has been awhile since I have read any blogs, but I saved the post on the list for when I could get around to it. I am glad I finally took the time to read this. It was well worthwhile. I hope all is well.