Monday, February 25, 2008

My Affair with D.V.R.

I haven't loved anything as much since the invention of the Internet. DVR has allowed me to actually watch a program start to finish which was virtually impossible with a newborn, I quickly discovered. Louie would start an inconsolable crying fit about ten minutes into Lost. Sadly, the rage I felt for missing my favorite television show was both electric and embarrassing. So along came DVR and happy days. No more commercials, no more crying interruptions and the beautiful, beautiful ability to pause and/or rewind live TV. For someone with a mild hearing loss in one ear and two children, it's lovely to say the least. Some may view my love for DVR with pity and I get where they are coming from. However, Louie is 2 years and Ace is 6 months, so these are the days of parenting when you seldom get out at night and you really look forward to Lost or I admit, American Idol. The writer's strike really did me in but that's another story. So, I had a small tiff with my DVR last night. We recorded the Oscars so we could fast forward through the things like 'best make-up' and 'best animated short' or whatever. The Oscars were slated to run from 7:30 - 10:30 so that's what DVR recorded. DVR isn't quite smart enough to figure out that the Oscars always run over. Right after the best actor nominees were announced it cut off. Errggh, DVR, what were you thinking? Oh, you don't think, that's right. But so often it seems you do. Thank goodness for youtube which allowed me to see the eloquent Daniel Day Lewis accept his Oscar for best actor. DVR, I still love you and have come to recognize and accept your shortcomings. After all, you can't be everything and no one is perfect.

1 comment:

Tara said...

AAAHHHH, we would get along so well. I have no idea what we would do without our DVR!! We, like you, are addicted to Lost. After the kids are in bed, we are sitting on the couch watching the dvr'd Lost episode, American Idol, or Survivor. Thank God for technology!!!